My Little Corner of the Web

What does a 50-year old retiree do with her time? This is my little area to talk about thrifting, repurposing, cleaning, organizing, decorating, gardening, cooking, family, and whatever strange and unusual thoughts come to mind. My dd and ds have both moved out, so it is just DH and me living out here on 20 acres near a small town in Missouri. My sister-in-law and I are going to open a booth at a local fleamarket/antique mall, so I am excited to work on all kinds of fun projects :) I hope you enjoy and find something of interest.







Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Crafty Fall

Reading my blog, one may have noticed I just might be a bit ADD...Oh look, a butterfly! I have finally brought everything together and am going to show you what I've been working on to do some cheap fall decorating.  I'm really proud of myself, and find that I'm starting to get back into crafting...Danger...All it took was 20 years and the kids out of the house!

First of all, I found this great idea over at Sassy Style.  Lo and behold, I had a small vintage red wagon that was sitting on my hearth.  I had planned on doing something cool with it, but it just sat there.  Also, my ds tried to ride it like a scooter and broke one of the wheels (really?  a 260 pound lineman could do that??)  Since my living room has red in it, I thought this idea would work great.






The top picture shows the little wagon in it's original state (cobwebs??   must be just a fuzzy picture...)  I started by removing the wheels and such.  The front nut and bolt were so rusted together, dear hubs ground that part off (can you see the sparks?)  He just rolls his eyes when I start these things, but fortunately he goes with the flow!  The last picture shows what it looked like after everything was taken off.  I decided not to paint or anything, just scrubbed it really well.

Here it is, the new tray on my coffee table.  I didn't add the handles.  The pumpkin is a Dollar General find, and I just love it!

I went to a thrift store and a fabric store with a friend yesterday, so here is the next project.  Pumpkins made from toilet paper rolls covered in fabric.  So easy, even I can do it (directions - google "toilet paper pumpkins").  These took about 2 minutes each, and I think they are so cute!



How cute are these?  I made a couple for friends as well.  I also found some dead branches in my wooded yard, and used those as the pumpkin 'stem.'

I finished up what I wanted to do with my little table in my dining area:


The little runner was some fabric I found that I really liked.  I bought 1 1/2 yards, ripped cut it in half lengthwise, folded it, then tied it with some cute ribbon on both sides.  Voila!  The candle was 25 cents at the thrift store, and there is one of my new little pumpkins!  I am so excited (easily amused...obviously :))

So, that kind of wraps up the current house reformation and crafting.  Stay tuned for more!
 

1 comment:

  1. I love how you took a cue from Sassy Style and made your own tray! So cool. :)

    ReplyDelete