My Little Corner of the Web

What does a 50-year old retiree do with her time? This is my little area to talk about thrifting, repurposing, cleaning, organizing, decorating, gardening, cooking, family, and whatever strange and unusual thoughts come to mind. My dd and ds have both moved out, so it is just DH and me living out here on 20 acres near a small town in Missouri. My sister-in-law and I are going to open a booth at a local fleamarket/antique mall, so I am excited to work on all kinds of fun projects :) I hope you enjoy and find something of interest.







Sunday, August 29, 2010

Housewife 2010

I love being at home.  I can go days without leaving and almost hate when I have to go out sometimes!  When my kids were younger and I worked full-time, we were constantly on the go.  The only day I almost always knew I'd be at home was on Sunday ~ and then I spent the day cleaning, doing laundry, grading papers, etc., etc.

I have learned so much about "building a home" in the last couple years that I've been retired.  Being raised in the 60's and 70's, I bought into the "Women's Lib" movement.  I still do, but I now believe that a woman can be liberated and still enjoy being a homemaker.  My dh told me, after I'd been retired for a few months, that he liked coming home to a clean house and dinner almost ready.  He quickly explained that he didn't want me to take that the wrong way.  He thought of me a much more than "just a housewife."  If I admitted that that made me feel good, was I abandoning my liberal ways?? 

I have definitely come to terms with this.  I have found that I love making our house into a home.  It's a place that's comfortable and homey feeling.  My kids love coming home and flopping down on the couch.  DH and I both love being here.  People always comment how comfortable my house looks.  Dare I say it?  I love being a housewife!  I love cleaning (ok, maybe "love" is too strong a word, there...)  I should say I love when my house is clean.  Now when I clean, I take my time and enjoy it more, knowing I am taking pride in my home when I "bathe" it!  I know it's hard to slow down and enjoy cleaning when you've barely got time to clean, but maybe a quick clean-up every night of the week (5 min.) will give you time to enjoy doing some cleaning when you do have time.  Don't think of it as drudgery, think of it as making your house a wonderful home....your wonderful home.

No comments:

Post a Comment