My Little Corner of the Web

What does a 50-year old retiree do with her time? This is my little area to talk about thrifting, repurposing, cleaning, organizing, decorating, gardening, cooking, family, and whatever strange and unusual thoughts come to mind. My dd and ds have both moved out, so it is just DH and me living out here on 20 acres near a small town in Missouri. My sister-in-law and I are going to open a booth at a local fleamarket/antique mall, so I am excited to work on all kinds of fun projects :) I hope you enjoy and find something of interest.







Friday, August 20, 2010

Men are from....???

A different galaxy, obviously.  My dh is one of those men who can fix anything and build anything.  I am sitting in the office he built me by knocking out a wall and building out over part of the front porch.  He is very talented.  I sometimes have wondered what my role is.  What are my strengths?  Ok, I was a good teacher, a pretty good mom, keep a pretty clean house, and am a pretty good cook.  A lot of "pretty goods," huh?  I'm not crafty, nor do I sew (I do the basics, and can sew, just not very well - nor do I have much interest.)

 One thing I really enjoy, and feel I'm good at, is decorating.  I feel like our home is our...I don't know...our sanctuary?  We planned and built it together, and it's our dream home.  When we built, we did everything top notch, but we saved on several of the accessories.  We have been replacing and redoing as we go along, a little at a time.  Since I've retired, I've re-painted the entire downstairs.  It's been redecorated mostly with things I've repurposed, so the process hasn't cost us much ~ very few, if any, splurges. 

One thing we've replaced as we've gone on is the bathroom hardware.  We started with these ugly, cheap plastic towel and tp holders.  As I've redone each bathroom, I bought new nice ones (although I was careful not to spend too much money, I got ones that I liked.)  Since I cleaned the kids's bathroom, I decided it was time for new, which I bought yesterday while shopping with a friend.  Well, dh was not happy and said the ones we have are fine.  WHAT??  Does he realize he's taking away my one thing I'm good at and enjoy?  Does he spend money?  HMPH!  So I went up today and took the old ugly ones off (I'm giving them to him to put in his bathroom in the basement - so there!)  I'm going to try to put the new ones on myself, so I'm going to learn something new.  I love my dh, but what is up with this?  Are you all marriage counselors?  Well, maybe...

OK - I'm through venting now, and I feel better now that I've gotten this out, LOL!  Sorry for rambling and griping.  I'll post pics of the new hardware when I get it up.  I also got the landing cleaned and painted it yesterday!!  Woo Hoo - progress!!

No comments:

Post a Comment