My Little Corner of the Web

What does a 50-year old retiree do with her time? This is my little area to talk about thrifting, repurposing, cleaning, organizing, decorating, gardening, cooking, family, and whatever strange and unusual thoughts come to mind. My dd and ds have both moved out, so it is just DH and me living out here on 20 acres near a small town in Missouri. My sister-in-law and I are going to open a booth at a local fleamarket/antique mall, so I am excited to work on all kinds of fun projects :) I hope you enjoy and find something of interest.







Saturday, October 29, 2011

So much to share...

I have had so much going on lately, I have hardly even had time to be online this week.  First of all, we finally got our new carpeting, so I can finally get my guest room done :)
Here's the living room after we pulled up the carpeting, pad, and a million staples:
How do you like that wall? There is a huge corner entertainment center/bookshelves that goes in front of there, so no-one sees back there.  Lazy?  Me?  And here's our white trash front porch:

I love the new carpet, it is so clean and fluffy!!!

 I stopped by a yard sale on my way home from the store today.  We usually don't have yard sales this late, but we have had a wonderful fall, and the temps were still in the 60's today.  Here's what I picked up:
I started stripping paint off the top before I remembered to take a pic.  I'm going to clean up the bottom and re-paint it white, and I'll do the top in black stain.  I'll post pics of that soon.  Here is the top after I got as much off as I could with the stripper (I hate that stuff!):
It had a few layers of paint on it, and I figure I'll sand the rest off tomorrow.  Did I mention how much I paid for this? ONE DOLLAR!!!!!  How could I pass that up??

I paid another hard-earned dollar on this:

Isn't this a great chair?  It's in perfect shape.... for ONE DOLLAR!  This lady was really wanting to get rid of stuff.  Ok, well, it's not completely perfect:
The lady said, "I bought it like that, it works fine!"  And, actually, it does!  I know my dh can fix it, and if he doesn't, it can go on the front porch with the last thing I bought at the sale:
It's a little rough, but not too bad.  We never use the front porch (people come in the side door,) so it's just for looks, anyway.  With the cushion, I paid a whopping TWO DOLLARS!!  That's right, $4.00 total for these three pieces.  I'll take that any day of the week :)

If you read this post, you saw my bench that will go in my guest room.  I finished painting it.  I don't love it, but it will have pillows all over it and I think it will look good in the room:
I will post pics after I get it set up in the room.

Here's one more thing (since I didn't post all week, I'll do triple duty on this.)  At the same flea market I found the bench, I found a great old dresser.  I paid $75 for it, but it was worth it.  It had obviously been sitting out for many years, and was filthy.  I thought I'd have to re-stain and varnish, but I found some awesome wood cleaner/restorer, and it cleaned up beautifully.  I'm upset I didn't get a before photo, as you wouldn't believe the difference.  Here it is after its cleaning:

Hope all this makes up for not blogging all week.  I'll be linking up with some DIY parties!

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful pieces you have found. Love that old chest of drawers.

    ReplyDelete